Friday, May 24, 2013

Finding Light through the fog

The other day I got woke up nice and early by my little brother wanting juice. And if you know me, you know I don't sleep well the way it is so you can imagine I didn't start out very happy about this at all. Buuuutt I got up anyway to get Jedidiah some juice and after I got up I realized the sun was starting to rise. And it just so happened to be a very foggy morning. The morning air was filled with moisture! It was just beautiful! So being me, I thought it would be a good opportunity to capture some good pictures.

So I went out and started snapping away and as I was looking through the pictures I noticed in every one of them the sun just glistened through the fog. It completely over-powered it. No matter how thick the fog was, the sun made its way through! It really got me thinking....

How often in my life does it seem like there is a thick fog over everything? How often is my perspective clouded by some trial or mess? How often is my life just like the fog that is clouding the view of the sunrise?

So often I let things get in the way of my view of God, and the things He is trying to show me. I live a life clouded by fog, by trials, by circumstances. I let pain, and hurt, and evil, even people(!) cloud my view of God. Instead of looking through it, I let it blur my view and drown out the light that is seeping through.

Have you ever noticed that as soon as the sun comes out the fog disappears? Well Jesus, the Light of the world(John 8:12-"Jesus spoke to the people once more and said, "I am the light of the world. If you follow me, you won’t have to walk in darkness, because you will have the light that leads to life."),can wipe away the foggy, clouded mess of our lives, just like the sun does to that fog. We just have to look past it to see the light. Allow Him to seep through the fog of things and light up your world. If we would just look to Him, our vision, our perspective, would no longer be clouded, but full of light.

So just as I started out my morning, unhappy and looking at things the wrong way, I let my vision be clouded. I let the fog cover up the light. I let my own perspective keep God from shining His light on me. I saw being woke up that early as a terrible thing. But when I finally looked passed the fog, I saw His light. I saw the beauty of that morning and the beauty of His lesson to me. I saw the Sun shine through the fog. I saw the Son of God, the Light of the world, shine through my fog-filled vision, and give me view of His light. And once I took that in, I was able to rejoice in being awake so early. I got to praise God for such beauty and for such a wonderful opportunity! The morning was no longer terrible, it was a blessing.

So I challenge you, along with myself, to not let the challenges and trials and messes of this life fog out your vision of God, but instead, look through them and see the Light shining through to you. God's Light overpowers all things, just as the sun overpowers the fog... :)


No comments:

Post a Comment