Monday, May 13, 2013

For the love of a mother

Well Mother's day is over now and I'm pretty sure, actually I know for a fact, that my mom has probably had better mother's day celebrations in the past. Not only do I feel terrible about that but I also feel that she, along with all mothers, deserve more than just one day of extended love. They should know each and everyday what a special place they hold in each of our lives. After all, God placed you in her womb for a reason right?

moth·er  

A woman in relation to a child or children to whom she has given birth.-

Yes, my mother gave birth to me...and to my siblings. But I'm not sure this definition fully describes what a mother or, more specifically, what MY mother is to me.. and to us.

She gave birth to us, but she's been so much more than just a birth mother to us. She has been a mother of many things. Not only does she cook, clean, and do laundry for us, she provides encouragement, love, support, hugs, kisses, and discipline that provides character in each of us. She sacrifices everyday for my dad and for us. She wakes at the crack of dawn, even though she has been up all night giving love to little ones who can't sleep, sometimes even big ones like ME who can't sleep, just to continue the process of caring for us, her children. Being a mother for her not only means making sure her kids are fed and have clothes on, but it also means helping my dad with our business, even if it does run her so thin she can't function, just to make sure things run more smoothly so we can be provided for. For her, it also means homeschooling us and giving us an education so we can know something and be somebody. For her, it means going out of her way just to make us happy and give us enjoyment. For her, it means sitting at the table with us everyday sharing the Word of God with us so that we might come to know Jesus and live a life worth living. Being a mother to her means putting aside her own hurts and desires and listening to ours instead. It means taking the hurt of her child and making it her own. It means shedding tears and praying thousands of prayers for the life of each child. It means setting aside her important work just to listen to the need of a precious life. She doesn't look at it as a burden or pain, she looks at it as joy. She would sacrifice at any moment for each of us.

To me, she isn't just a mother. She's a friend. A best friend. When everyone seems to be gone, she's there. She knows when I'm hurting and when I'm in need of someone to come along side me. She's always the first to arrive and the last to leave. She gives me the much needed truth even when it hurts. She gives me support and prayer. She gives me an ear to listen and a shoulder to cry on... and best of all, she brings hope and joy to everything. Laughter and love are always flowing from her!

My mom has shown us the love of Jesus and the grace of God. She has shown us living a life of sin isn't a life worth living.  She has shown us life isn't easy, but a life with Jesus is a life worth fighting for. She has shown us life isn't about yourself but about others. She has shown us the importance of family and the bond that can be built when love is given. She has shown us being a mother isn't just about giving birth, but it's a life-long bond given to you for your child. She has shown us many things, even without trying. She has shown us she isn't perfect.. but she's an example worth following.

Not only has she shaped our lives...but I'm pretty sure we've shaped hers as well. Not only is she a gift to us, but I know we're a gift to her. That's what is so amazing about my mom. She sees motherhood as a rare gift. One not to be taken lightly or for granted. She sees the gift of life in each of us and knows that motherhood isn't just about having a child, but about giving that child life and love. She sees it as building a life-long relationship with the child, a bond that can never be broken.

I know God had a special plan when He placed me, along with all my siblings, in the life of my dear mother. I get to hear stories all the time of how she as always wanted to have babies and be a mom. She's desired from a very young age to have each of us in her life. I can't explain to you the joy of knowing you've been loved before you were even born! And now here she is, a mother of ten! My mom has gone through great lengths to give us a life. A life of love, a life of memories, and a life filled with Jesus. A life truly filled with joy. I can see through her life the love she has for each of us. The love she has always had for us. The love she will always continue to have for us. And I'm truly grateful for the love of a mother. The love of my mother!

So as it turns out the definition of a mother, our mother, is wide for me. My mom, mother, momma, mommy is truly amazing. She has taken this frail heart and life of mine and shown it great love and care. She listens, she loves, she corrects, she guides, she supports, she prays, she cheers... she mothers. She is the best mom I could ask for! And she deserves love and appreciation everyday. Not just one day of the year. So to the wonderful mother she is, thank you! And all praise be given to the great God who works out all things for the good of His purpose! All glory to Him who has placed us in the hands of His daughter, our mother.


No comments:

Post a Comment